Services Plugins FAQs

AWS Fileuploader Image Rotation by 90 degrees

Hi all,

when I upload and display an Image (.heic format) via the AWS fileuploader, the image gets automatically rotated by 90 degrees. As Users are able to upload profile images in my application, this is quite unfortunate to say the least… :frowning:

It seems that this issue only occurs on pictures taken on a phone. (In my case iPhone)

Does anyone know how I can solve this issue? (Potentially in an elegant way?)

I’m grateful for any advice! :slight_smile: Many thanks!

Cheers,
Philipp

Hello, @philipp.laengle107
Thanks for your question.

Please allow us to mention that we have tested the rotation of images from the different devices with iOS OS and all images are uploaded in the correct position.
However, we need to mention that it depends on the iPhone default configurations.
Every image file has metadata property. If the metadata specifies the orientation of the image which is generally ignored by other OS, except for iOS and macOS. Most of the images taken are having their metadata property set to the right angle. So iOS shows it 90 degrees rotated manner.

Additionally to all mentioned above, please allow us to provide you with this tutorial, that can be useful for your case:

Macworld

How to solve incorrect photo rotation after sync or upload

Surprisingly, photo rotation is a complicated issue for software to handle.

In case you will have additional issues with this - please be free to contact me :slightly_smiling_face:
Also, you can share the link to your application for our testing purposes.

Best regards,