Services Plugins FAQs

Android vs. iOS perf issues with Autocomplete plugin?

I’ve successfully setup the Search & Autocomplete plugin. My test DB is only ~10 items, and each item in the repeating group has one ~35kb image, and about 10 characters of text.

Unfortunately, I’m seeing issues with Chrome/Safari on iOS, that aren’t present on Chrome on Android. (In fact, Android is super snappy!) Specifically:

1. The images struggle to render as you type on iOS, leading to a kind of “Christmas tree light” effect. Often times you’ll see the right text with the wrong image, then the right image eventually over-writes it. (This does not happen on Android.)

2. Setting focus on the relevant input field – with the plugin installed – doesn’t work on iOS, but it does work on Android.

Have others seen this kind of thing before? I know that both Safari and Chrome on iOS are based on Apple’s WebKit (vs. Chrome’s Blink rendering engine on Android), so perhaps that’s the issue? I welcome any thoughts.

Hello @matt8,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

I understand from your message that you’re encountering issues with images rendering on iOS devices. To help us better diagnose the problem, could you please provide additional details about your use case?

Specifically, we would appreciate if you could share screenshots and screencasts of your plugin element settings, your workflow setup, and the problem you are encountering on iOS device as they occur (including any error messages you might see). For recording screencasts, I recommend using the Loom tool. Additionally, could you please include an example of the image from your database so we can test it on our end, to ensure the issue isn’t related to the image rendering?

These details will enable us to replicate your setup on our end and investigate further.

Thank you once again, and I look forward to your response.

Best regards,
Stefan

I tested a few more things and identified a fix for the images part (1 of my 2 items). Specifically: I was previously hosting the images on Firebase. Once I uploaded the images directly to Bubble, I’m not seeing any image latency/rendering issues.

I’m still having issues with setting focus, however. The workflow is super straight forward → on button click Reset Search & Autocorrect, then Set focus to the search box. (The latter is a built-in action from Bubble.)

On Android this reset & set focus works as expected. On iOS only the reset works, and I have to tap into the field manually to bring up the keyboard. Please advise.

1 Like

Hello @matt8,

Thank you for your message and update.

It’s great to hear that you found a fix for the images. Regarding your second concern, I’ve researched it and, based on several Bubble forum threads[image], this appears to be a known issue as the “set focus” is a Bubble action not the plugin’s one. You can check this latest thread discussing this issue[link]

For your situation, you might consider exploring an alternative tool that could offer a solution for this problem.

Thank you once again, and I wish you a great day ahead!

Best regards,
Stefan

1 Like

Thanks for the follow up, @Stephan !

1 Like

Hello @matt8,

You’re always welcome! Feel free to reach out anytime you have a question or need support with anything—we’re here to help. :pray:

By the way, if you find the plugin helpful, we would deeply appreciate it if you could share your experience by leaving a review. It supports our work and also assists the wider Bubble community in making informed decisions.

To rate our plugin, just visit the Plugins tab in your Bubble editor, search for our plugin by name, and leave your feedback through the rating system.

Thank you once again, and have a great weekend ahead!

Best regards,
Stefan