Services Plugins FAQs

Box plugin - download file action

Hi, I’m using the Box service plugin to upload and store files. :slight_smile:

Users can open files in preview mode in a Box url tab, but that doesn’t give them a downloadable doc or pdf.

I’d like to give users the ability to download files. What is the action or call to do this?

Thanks

Bruce

Hi @bruce.mcvicar, thanks for your question.

Kindly note that a download button feature is not related to the plugin functionality.
To be able to place a download button on your app, please follow the hack described here: https://bubble.io/blog/the-download-hack/

Hope it helps,

Regards,

Serg

Hi, thanks for this, the css details are useful and I can now download instead of view in browser. The problem is, it’s downloading the Box preview page, not the file. I need the url for the file, not for the preview page.

I’ve used the call in the screenshot to get the url. Is there a different call/action I need to use?

Thanks

Bruce

Serg

Hi, just to add, this action ignores download, still shows html page in browser without ability to download file

Hi @bruce.mcvicar, thanks for clarification of your request.
To be able to get the URL of the downloaded file, you may use the example of workflow from the plugin Live Demo page, adjusting it to your requirements.

To do so, please do the following:

1. Create a corresponding action https://prnt.sc/10z14bf
  2. Create a state that will contain data about the requested file (including URL) https://prnt.sc/10z15qs
  3. Use the obtained URL to download the file, manually (as you’ve made previously, through HTML element or use any plugin that uses URL as a source.

Also, you may use alike flow on our demo page - https://prnt.sc/10z1p16
https://bubble.io/page?type=page&name=box-app-storage&id=zeroqode-demo-02

Hope it helps.

Hi, I’ve set up this flow in my app, but it doesn’t produce a downloadable document.

I uploaded a pdf (attached for comparison)
I generate the link url using similar steps:

The link, which points to Box, looks like this:

It takes me to this Box page, which views the document. When I try to save the file, it only offers me an html format

What I need is to Save-As a downloadable pdf. This page is explicitly a preview page.

It must be possible to generate a link to extract a Box file in its original format, but it’s not clear whether I need to do something different when generating the link or trying to use it to download?

Any ideas?

Regards

Bruce

Hi @bruce.mcvicar, thanks for providing details.

Currently, the Mapbox plugin is not able to provide a downloadable .pdf file. Sorry for the inconvenience.
We will check how feasible it will be to add the requested feature to the future plugin update, thank you for suggesting it.
The investigation might take some time so please be patient.

Thank you for understanding
Regards,

Serg

Hi, thanks for confirming status, I appreciate these things take time.

Can you clarify whether your Gdrive plugin has the same limitation? If a Box upgrade is quick, I’ll wait, but if not, I could switch to Gdrive - but only if it has the feature already!

Regards

Bruce

Hi @bruce.mcvicar, allow me to reply on your inquiry.

We have two Google Drive plugins:

And by available API calls, Complete Google Drive can help you with the file download.
Please see the available API calls here: https://zeroqode.com/plugin/complete-google-drive-service-acc-1528978032696x958624210411847700
Also, all available actions and data calls you can see available on supporting documentation and on the plugin description page (Editor>Plugins>Select a particular plugin to check)

I’m afraid we cannot provide time estimates on this matter because we need to see how feasible it is to implement.

Thanks for understanding!

Regards,

Serg

Hi, As you suggested, I’ve been working with the Google Drive Service Acc plugin. I’ve managed to upload/download files :).

However, the downloaded file isn’t the same format as the original uploaded file. I upload a Word doc, download it to Bubble, download from Bubble to local directory open it and the formatting has been lost.

Reading through the Forum, I see others have had a similar problem, so I presume it has been resolved. Can you please confirm the pre-requisites for downloading a file that is exactly the same as the uploaded file:

1. Which Event (Upload a File, or Upload a File (Base64) or another) do I use for the upload
  2. What settings do I need to put in the element for the upload (for Base64, there are Mime Type, File as Base64, File Mime Type - what do I set and what should it be set to for the download to work as required)
  3. Do I need to change any attributes of the file after uploading it
  4. What element settings and Bubble syntax do I need when downloading the file
  5. Do I need to do something after downloading it for its original format to be recognised

I can’t find anything in the Demo site or documentation showing how to ensure the file format of a downloaded file is properly recognised and available.

Regards

Bruce

Hi @bruce.mcvicar, thanks for getting back.
Please let us check it with our developers as well, then get back to you with feedback asap!

Regards,

Hi Serg

Thanks for looking into this.

Do you know when they will have the guidance?

Regards

Bruce

Hi @bruce.mcvicar, our developer team currently works on the Google Drive plugin improvement (that should solve the issue with file format).
Presently, I cannot provide the exact time estimates on this matter, sorry. But we strive to implement this option as soon as possible. Once it will go live - I will let you know

Thank you for understanding and have a nice weekend.

Regards

Serg

OK, it would be good to have a timescale as this is my go-live problem.

As this doesn’t work either with Box or Gdrive plugins, I would prefer it if you can implement it for Box as I’ve already deployed it.

Regards

Bruce

Dear @bruce.mcvicar, sorry for not being helpful with the answer about the time frame for both of the plugins’ improvement.
Cannot guarantee any estimates on this matter, unfortunately. Once any of the above-mentioned plugins will be updated, I will let you know.

Thank you for understanding.

Regards,

Dear @bruce.mcvicar, thanks for your patience.

We have pushed a plugin update (Complete Google Drive (Service Acc.), that has fixed the issue with the file extension changed/missing.

To check changes, please upgrade your plugin to the latest version (Added new element ‘Drive Uploader’) and give it a try.

Also, for reference and to check how it works, please see the:

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Hi @bruce.mcvicar , I am trying to use your plugin to download a text file stored in a shared folder, in Box. So far, I tried every plugin option, including the embedded link (and tried to store it in S3 as a file), and the text representation of the file (as explained on Box’s developers site), without any luck.

What would be the method (if possible) to download the file and store it Bubble for later text processing?

Thank you

Hi @xabier.mendoza, thanks for reaching out.

I’m afraid that the current plugin available options don’t allow storing files in the Bubble database. In this case, we are limited by the functionality provided by the Box platform itself. Sorry about that :pray:

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can help with about our plugin.

Regards,

I see, thank you for the reponse.

@xabier.mendoza, you’re welcome :wink:

Have a good day!

Regards,