Services Plugins FAQs

Can't get Web Notifications to work on iOS

I installed and configured the Web Notifications plugin a few days ago. It is working great on desktop Chrome and Android Chrome but I can’t seem to get it to allow notifications on iOS/iPhone.

I have the Bubble app on the home screen of the iOS device. I have enabled notifications in Safari but when I run the app, it never prompts me to “Allow Notifications” and when the user clicks my “Subscribe” button, a subscription isn’t created on iOS device. Not sure what else to check.

Jim

1 Like

Hi @jpaynesoftware, :wave:

Please accept my apologies for the delayed reply. :pray:

Thank you for reaching out. I’m glad to hear that the Web Notifications plugin is working well for you on desktop Chrome and Android Chrome.

Please ensure that the above conditions are met on your iOS device:

1. Update iOS and Safari: Make sure your iOS device is running iOS 16.4 or later and that Safari is up to date.
  2. Add to Home Screen: Ensure that your Bubble app is added to the home screen of your iOS device. This can be done by tapping the “Share” button in Safari and selecting “Add to Home Screen.”
  3. Enable Notifications in Safari: Double-check that notifications are enabled in Safari settings.

If you have checked all these settings and still face issues, please let me know, and we can explore further troubleshooting steps.

Best regards,
Daniel.

Daniel,

Yes, these are all the things I have done and checked. I have automatic updates installed and the iPhone 12 mini is on 17.5.1. Let me know what else I can check.

Jim

Hello @jpaynesoftware, :wave:

Would it be convenient for you to share access to your app so we can take a look?

For this please add our support@zeroqode.com email as a collaborator of your app (disregard the warning, our email can be added to the collaborator list even if your app is on the Free plan). And please let me know the page name where the plugin elements are found.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,
Daniel

On this topic, when I tell my app running on the phone and send a notification, it sends it to my desktop browser instead!.

It seems like I need multiple subscriptions for each device (desktop browser/phone device browser/etc.). How can I store those and track the subscriptions to multiple devices. Any suggestions? Am I missing something?

Paul

Paul,

I had the same issue. I use the Platform Detection plugin to get a description of the computer subscribing and I write that description to the database along with the subscription so each device can subscribe separately under the same user. Works well. Only issue would be if two devices with the same user were the same type and same OS versions then the descriptions might be the same. Example Description: “Chrome 125.0.0.0 on OS X 10.15.7 64-bit”

Jim

2 Likes

I have a similar issue currently. The desktop runs fine and receives notifications, but the iOS does not generate the notifications. I observed that the iOS is not able to call the “Create a new Push Subscription…” when called.

I wonder whether the team has any fix on this issue.

Support was able to verify the issue on my Bubble application and recreate it for development to look into. Last I heard from them they are working on an update to resolve the issue. No idea how long it will be. This is actually a real problem for me right now. I hope they can resolve it soon.

1 Like

Hi there @sgearthman @jpaynesoftware, :wave:

Thank you for your messages and for your patience.

I have asked our development team to look into the issue again. Please note that they are currently handling a large amount of tasks, so it might take some time to address this specific problem.

We understand that this is a critical issue for you, and we appreciate your understanding and patience as we work towards a resolution.

If you have any other concerns or need further assistance, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Best regards,
Daniel.

1 Like

I had to look for another solution. I was able to install Progressier and it works great. I hope you can resolve the issues with your app soon but I have a good solution now that not only provides Web Notifications but also allows my app to appear as a PWA with installation and icon support for all devices. It’s a great addition to Bubble to make a professional looking app!

Hello @jpaynesoftware, :wave:

Our development team was able to receive notifications from your app.

To ensure the plugin works correctly on iOS, please add the website to your home screen and open it from there.

Here are the steps to do this:

1. Open Safari and navigate to your website.
  2. Tap the share icon at the bottom of the screen.
  3. Select “Add to Home Screen.”
  4. Tap “Add” in the top right corner.

Once the website is added to your home screen, open it from there to ensure the plugin functions correctly.

Please let us know if you encounter any further issues or have any questions.

Best regards,
Daniel

Daniel,

Yes, it works now because I installed Progressier. You are sending messages because you are registered on that plaform with notifications turned on. Doesn’t work using your app. The prompt you took a screen shot to allow notifications is form Progressier. I deployed that a few days ago and disabled the Zerocode plugin and code.

Jim

1 Like

Hello Jim @jpaynesoftware and @sgearthman, :wave:

Thank you for your messages.

I together with the developers have tested the plugin on iOS on a different app, and we were able to see the notifications from Android/Windows/macOS/iOs.

To get a clearer picture of the issue you’re encountering, could you kindly create an isolated test page (something like this for reference: web-push-notifications | Bubble Editor) in the live version of your app? We understand this is a lot to ask, but it is necessary because once the app is transferred to a PWA, we can’t change the URL, making it impossible to access the test version:

If you could provide us with live credentials to access your app and a way to navigate to the test page from the home screen (it could be a small button), it would be very helpful.

Thank you so much for your cooperation and understanding. :pray:

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

The web notification is working fine now in iOS.
As you have mentioned, I would need to add to the home screen for it to work properly.

thank you.

2 Likes

Hello @sgearthman, :wave:

I’m glad to hear the web notifications are working fine now on iOS!

Please feel free to reach out whenever you need help or assistance. It will be a pleasure to cooperate. :slightly_smiling_face:

If you’re enjoying our plugins, we’d greatly appreciate it if you could rate them. Just go to the Plugins tab in the Bubble editor, search for the plugin by name, and give it the stars you think it deserves. Your support means a lot to us!

Thank you for letting me know, and I wish you an amazing day ahead. If you have any more needs or questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I’m here to support you. :pray:

Best regards,
Daniel.