Services Plugins FAQs

Convert page to PDF and repeating group - how to define the page breaks?

Hi Guys
maybe one of you already solved this issue :slight_smile:
I have a repeating group that the user can export as PDF with the ZeroQode pdf plugin.
Sometimes the user wrote a lot of nots or entered a lot of items to the page - then when the user downloads as pdf the pagebreaks looks not that good

It will be great to hear some solutions,
What is the best way to cut the pages if I am not sure how many items / how long the notes?

This is an example of one of the pdf’s - and as you can see, when the user have lots of items the cutting of the page looks bad :frowning:

Hello, @amitshemla!
Please accept my apologies for the late reply. :pray:

Let me please send here as well an answer I have sent to you via intercom. I will not add here the link to your app respecting your app’s privacy.

First of all, I have to note that, unfortunately, the Page to PDF plugin is not adapted to the new responsive design yet, like the rest of our plugins. It is so because we are still waiting for the Responsive engine for plugins from the Bubble team. We can not start updating our plugins to be compatible with the new responsive design until we receive the update from the Bubble team.

As for the Pagebreaker feature working on an old responsive engine, then I have to say that this feature is not fully functional since it was in beta. The way it works now is calculating the page’s parameters and the element’s height/width (the page’s HTML structure) and, unfortunately, at the moment the calculation process is not stable in different use cases. We sincerely regret about this :pensive:

Plus, it is quite difficult to provide “an accurate page cut” when the page contains a repeating group with dynamic content. Depending on the repeating group’s number of cells, the page’s height is changed accordingly, which affects the place where the content will be cut.

The only workable solution we can suggest at the moment is to change the design of the page/element that way, to fit its content inside one a4 page. Also, I’d like to recommend using Paddings to add free space between the page breaking points.

I do understand that the unstable work of the Pagebreaker functionality is quite a sad case, but we are open to doing our best in order to fix the plugin. The only thing which is limiting us now is the need to wait for the new responsive engine for plugins, from the Bubble team.

Thus, I can only recommend you change the page design to make it contain fewer elements whose content is dynamic and might change the height of the page. :pray:

In case there is any way I can help you - please let me know.

Regards,

Hello,

I have exactly the same need : I have to print a list of items (repeating group) and when the list counts more than 1 page, each last element is cut.

Did you have a solution for that ? (The last answer was made 18 months ago … so maybe)

Thank you in advance

Audrey

Hi @audrey.gouzer,

Sorry for the late reply due to the weekend. :pray:

Actually, the Page to PDF plugin is now adapted to the new responsive design and it’s working properly. However, I’m afraid, the plugin won’t be able to do convert on separate pages for each record of your repeating group. The plugin is able to convert a group element on a separate page (or multiple groups). But handle the repeating group with cells - unfortunately, it is not possible at the moment. It means the Pagebreaker feature of the plugin won’t be able to do a clear cut between your repeating group cells, to create a page with the separate cell content in it.

One option is to break the document into pages, either by dividing the content into separate cells or by allowing the plugin to automatically break the repeating group content based on page size. This may result in some cells being cut off, similar to the example you provided.

Alternatively, you can use multiple fixed repeating groups and specify their IDs in the “page break if” field. This will ensure that each repeating group appears on a different page.

Another possibility is to experiment with the header/footer values of the generated PDF action. By adjusting these values, you may be able to manipulate the plugin to “push” the cell content to another page, preventing it from being cut off at undesired places. However, please note that this workaround may not be 100% effective.

Sorry for not being able to help with this. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
Gulce

1 Like

Hi Gulce,

First thank you for your very complete answer.

I will try to adjust - as you explain - the size of the header/footer (and fixed reapeating groups) : I think it is the best solution for the moment.

Otherwise, this plugin brings me all satisfaction

Best regards
Audrey

1 Like

Hi @audrey.gouzer,

Always welcome! Feel free to reach us again if you have any questions. We will be glad to cooperate. :slightly_smiling_face:

Best regards,
Gulce