Services Plugins FAQs

Encode / Decode Plugin

Hi,

Is there any documentation or demo on how to use the Encode / Decode Plugin? I’ve subscribed to it for the past few months and just starting to incorporate it in my workflow, but not sure how to get it working. I want to encrypted strings (Names and Messages) as an additional layer of security in my app.

What’s the best workflow to AES a string of characters? Also, is this actually secure because the key is within the workflow / pages? Would this be visible to an attacker and have the potential to be comprised?

Thank you,
G

Hi @gilles
We will setup the demo page any soon and let you know.
Regards,
zeroqode team

1 Like

Hi @karel - can you send me a quick demo or note on how to setup the encoder. Here are a few tries on my attempt to AES a string input:

I’m not getting any output encrypted characters. Also the same with HMAC.

What am I doing wrong with the plugin?

Also, what is the block size for this AES - 128 / 256?

Thank you

Hello @gilles
Sorry to keep you waiting.
We have created the demo page, where you can see how we settled the AES. It’s strange, taht it doesn’t return anything for you, as the encoder should works eachtime, as long as you use at least one letter.
https://zeroqode-demo-09.bubbleapps.io/encode-decode
Think problem can be one less known bubble glitch. Can you please change the “encoded value” from “This input’s value” to “Input A’s value” and let me know if this is your case? Sometimes bubble just cannot recognise the input by “this input” and fails.

1 Like

Hi @karel. Thanks for putting this together. I can see the preview and test, but can’t access the editor. It keeps requiring me to log into bubble, which I do, but I can only see my own templates / apps.

Are you using AES 128/256?

Thank you

Hi @gilles
sorry the app was marked “private” by accident, i have changed it to “read-only” for everyone,
here is the link https://bubble.is/page?type=page&name=encode-decode&id=zeroqode-demo-09&tab=tabs-1

@levon
Can I decode data if i send emails with API workflows?

unfortunately this plugin is a client side plugin (not a server side one) thus its calls won’t be accessible from the API workflows

Ok I get that. I was playing with a plugin a bit. Is there a way to decode fields in bulk without having to load unique decoder for every element? I have a lot of views and repeating groups for same data and a lot of different data types.

As an example:
Let’s say I have few different data types with multiple fields: CARS - I want to decode their plate numbers, make and model, CAR OWNERS and i want to decode their owner name, address, phone, email, PARTS Car make and model etc…

I’m using your encoder and I wonder if it’s possible to decode like this?

@levon Also, it would be nice to have an example how decoding is done in a repeating groups?

That would be really helpful to know how it could be used in a repeating group.

Hey @shanon.hart, so we added how to set up the Encode/Decode for Repeating Group in our demo, hope you will find it useful and it helps you.

In demo press the button See this page in Bubble editor and check out the settings, and the workflow.

Thank you,
BR.
Nik.

1 Like

Hi,

I bought the plugin a few weeks ago and I’ve set it up to encode and decode inputs, text and repeating groups for my different forms, but I’m having trouble decoding dropdowns. Any chance Zeroqode can prepare an example in the demo? I already have the list of items encoded in the database, but I can’t decode it when I open the form with the Dropdown.

Hello @manuel-calero

Thanks for reaching out!

Thanks for the feedback, however I’m afraid not at the moment. Sorry and thanks for understanding.
:pray:

Regards,
Dumitru.

Hi @Dumitru,

Thats fine, but can you confirm it is possible with both Static and Dynamic options. Right now I have only been able to make it work with Static options. Dynamic options with custom data types and options sets does not work. In fact I already have the encoded strings saved on the database but I am not able to decode the options on a dropdown unless they are static. Can this please be looked at.

@Siddhartha I know you have some experience with this plugin. Have you been able to use this with a Dropdown. I want to be able to show the selected decoded option on a Dropdown from the database with custom data types.

Thank you

Hello @manuel-calero

I’m afraid I don’t know if it’s possible or not, in this regard. However we’ll take a look at it, but it may no be any time soon as there are other priorities.
Thanks for understanding.
:pray:

Regards,
Dumitru.

Hi Manuel,

Sorry I’ve taken a long while to reply. I’ve not been on the forum for a while due to other commitments.

I’ve not used Encode/Decode for dynamic options. It will be a tough challenge, for the same reason as the repeating group has been challenging. Even if it is doable, it ends up pushing the plugin (and Bubble) to its limits.

I did get the repeating group working in the end, but needed some external help as the speed to encode, then write, the decode and redisplay made for a lot of challenges. Each time I thought I’d solved it, I’d uncover something else in bug testing, that would break it.

Good luck with those dynamic options. Hope you managed to get it sorted.

Hi @levon,

Do you have any documentation on what kind of encryption this plugin uses from a marketing and technical perspective. Is this plugin based on any other external encryption plugin or anything?

Thanks

Hello @manuel-calero

Sorry for delayed answer, unfortunately we don’t have documentation for the plugin.

The plugin uses different types of JavaScript libraries implemented in standard and secure cryptographic algorithms.
It comes with ciphers: AES, ; hashing: HMAC-SHA1, HMAC-SAH256 and Encoders: BASE64, URL ENCODING .

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dumitru.

Hi @Dumitru,

Do you have more info on the Javascript Libraries so that I can check on the exact ciphers that it uses and documentation on these ciphers.

Thanks
Manuel