Services Plugins FAQs

Screensharing with Agora plugin

Hi, I’ve just recently subscribed to this plugin and so far it all seems to be working well. The only issue seems to be that (from what I can understand) I can’t switch screensharing on DURING a call? This is quite an issue for my clients, as:

• for licencing reasons related to my app, a meeting room ID is created by my booking platform, is personal to the two attendees and can only be used once
  • from a useability perspective, it’s quite likely and usual that people would be in a call; share their screen for a bit; and then unshare it (and maybe someone else would share their screen)

Is there some way around this?

Thank you! Debbie

Hello @debbie,

Thank of for reaching out to us.

You are correct, it is not possible to switch the type of conference from “video only” to “video + screen sharing” during the meeting. This would require ending the current session and starting a new one with the desired settings.

Regarding you desired outcome and use-case, please let me further consult and check this possibility, and I’ll come back to you with a more accurate response on this.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Best regards,
Stefan

Hello @debbie,

Thank you for your patience as we looked into the Agora’s screen sharing possibilities.

After consulting with our development team and experimenting with potential solutions, we’ve confirmed that the Agora does not support toggling screen sharing on and off within a single call session. This limitation stems from the way Agora handles media streams, once screen sharing is disabled, Agora continues to attempt accessing the play method on the stream, leading to conflicts.

I understand this is not the ideal functionality, especially considering your application’s needs. While we can’t provide this feature directly at the moment, we will explore future updates that could solve this.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and we appreciate your understanding as we continue to enhance our service.

Best regards,
Stefan