Services Plugins FAQs

Stripe Direct Charges

Hi All,

We have bought the Uplance template with the intention of using Stripe’s direct charge (Stripe’s fee is paid by the vendor not the platform). However, we have tested and the Stripe fees has come to us as a platform. We looked over the following threads and noticed the support team stating that the direct charge is default and instructing others on how to set up the destination charge.

Could you please provide guidance on how to enable the Direct Charges flow and provide the necessary documentation?

Many thanks.

Hi @laila,
Apologies for the late reply due to the weekend. :pray:

First of all, I would like to point out that the thread you shared is for our Stripe Marketplace Express plugin, which is different from the one we use in our Uplance template. We are using the Stripe plugin from Bubble in this template.

As for the Stripe fee, this fee is paid from the application fee charged by the platform and the application fee can be determined as much as you want as a percentage. When you specify an application fee on a charge, the fee amount is transferred to your platform’s Stripe account.

Here is the documentation: Creating direct charges | Stripe Documentation

In case you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best regards,
Gulce

Hi Gulce,

Thanks for the note, however I don’t think I explained it properly, let me try again below.

Correct, I am looking for support on the standard Stripe plugin that comes with the Uplance template.

My question isn’t on the platform fee but on the stripe fee, the 2.9% + 30p for the UK. With the standard set up, the client a buys something from freelancer a. We have set up the 10% for our platform. Then there is the Stripe % (2.9%) we would like for only the 10% to come to us as a platform and for the 2.9% + 10% to be taken from the freelancers total that is sent to them. This I understand is the direct charge.

Currently what is happening is that 10% is taken from the freelancer and then we as a platform receive 10%-2,9%. This I understand if the destination charge.

Our interest if for it to work as a direct charge. How do we do this in the Uplance template? I am not clear on what needs to be done based on the documentation mentioned above.

Hi @laila,

As the platform owner, you may choose to pass on the Stripe fee to the seller, incorporate it into the pricing of their services, or absorb the fee yourself as a cost of running the platform.

Because in our template, the platform supports the stripe fees. If you want to pass the fee to the freelancer, then it’s a bit more complicated, but this article explains the math you need to apply.

In this case, if you want to receive $100.00 for example, you’d compute the app fee amount like this:

($100.00 + $0.30) / (1 - 2.9%) = $100.30 / 0.971 = $103.30.

So you’d charge $103.30 to your customer. Stripe’s fee will be $3.30 ($103.30 * 2.9% + $0.30 = $3.30), and your account’s balance will be increased by $100.00.

I’m afraid I can not give you more detailed examples or guides because customization services are beyond the Support team’s duties. We are only providing general support on our services or addressing issue reports to the plugin/template development teams in case of their appearance. I’m sorry for not being able to help you here. :pray:

I can suggest you write on the Bubble forum and describe your use case. I bet there is already somebody who was trying to build something similar with Bubble’s Stripe plugin and would like to share how they did solve that or at least will point you in the right direction.

In case I can try to help you with anything else, please let me know.

Best regards,
Gulce

Hi Gulce,

Thank you for the information. However, I am now a bit confused. I thought that the template was made for direct charges which is the fee going to the vendor (not the end customer). We want the fee to be taken from the customer not the vendor.

Example below:
Cost: 100
Customer pays 100
10% comes to us as a platform
Vendor receives 100 -10% and then - 2.9% +30p

Could you please provide clarity on how the template is stated to work with direct and destination charges and how we can make sure we have direct charges to the vender?

Hi @laila,

Sorry if I misled you with my previous message. :pray:

Yes, your calculation is correct except for the last part (Vendor receives 100 -10% and then - 2.9% +30p), as the platform pays the Stripe fee from the 10% application fee.

Here, the money is transferred directly to the freelancer (vendor). In the workflow, we are calculating the freelancer fund, which is the job price - platform fee. For example, if the freelancer indicated that he wants 100$ for a job, he will get 85$ and the 15$ will go to the platform, and from this money (15$) will be deducted the Stripe fee. To sum up, the customer (employer) pays only the job price determined by the freelancer, the freelancer pays the app fee to the platform owner from the task price he/she received and the platform owner pays the stripe fee from the app fee he/she receives.

If you would like freelancers to pay the Stripe fee as well, you can calculate it in the app fee so that you will receive also the Stripe fee from the freelancer.

Please let me know if I can clarify anything else.

Best,
Gulce