Services Plugins FAQs

Stripe Marketplace Plugin fees charged on top

Hi team,

I am using the Stripe Marketplace Express Plugin.

I am planning to charge a 10% fee on top of what a customer is paying. The way I understand it is that at the moment, the fee is taken out of the overall price. E.g. if a customer buys something for $100, the seller gets $90 and our platform keeps $10.

I would like it to be the case that upon checkout, the customer is charged $100 that 100% goes to the seller and an additional $10 that goes to our platform.

How would that work?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hello, @founders

The actions you are using extract the platform fee from the overall price of the item.
Moreover, usually, the Stripe platform can charge the Seller, but not the customer.

Given that the seller of an item receives the money, the platform manager tends to receive a commission from the seller, but not from the buyer, who pays the seller. In that way, there are no special actions or calls to charge additionally the Customer.

If you need such functionality, the only thing I can propose to use - creating a separate action, where you will directly charge your customer for using your platform.

Best regards,

Is there a guide somewhere on how to do that?

Okay, did a bit more research. I think what we need is to switch to destination charges. Is there guide on how to do that?

Hello, @founders
Thanks for the question.

We don’t have a guide for this case, since the same scenario was never used by us and we didn’t receive such requests from our users.

Destination charges are created on the platform, but as part of the charge operation, funds are transferred to the connected account specified in the transfer_data[destination] parameter of the charge.

As for our plugin, I can advise you to use the “Platform charge a customer” action:

Please check our Demo Page and Demo Editor in order to find out how you can set this action up:

Also, you can check the official Stripe Documentation, since the plugin is working accordingly to it.
Best regards,