Services Plugins FAQs

theCountable doesn't work when ID attribute is dynamic?

When I use a dynamic ID attribute (e.g. textfield_{Current Cell’s Index}), theCountable doesn’t work (nothing appears).

Possible to fix it?

I’ve used another zeroqode plugin (Air copy to clipboard) that works perfectly with dynamic ID attributes.

Greetings!

Thank you for your query.

If I got you correctly, you were trying to count the number of characters in the repeating group’s cell, right? Following this point, I have recreated a test page with your case and faced no issues using theCountable plugin with dynamic ID values.

Here is a short video for you, where you can see an example, how this plugin works with the dynamic data:

In case my assumption about your query was wrong, please let me know, and provide a bit more details for your case. I’ll try to help. :slightly_smiling_face:

Best regards.

Thanks Elena, sorry for the late reply as I couldn’t figure out what was wrong.

You’re exactly right in what I’m trying to do - thanks for the video.

theCountable doesn’t work when the Input is invisible on page load, and shown only on condition.

I just figured out a fix - make the input visible on page load, and hide it conditionally.

I’ve one more question -
In the documentation it says spaces are also counted as a character but it doesn’t seem to be so:

Including the 2 spaces, there should be 11 characters, but the plugin only counted 9.

Is there any way to make spaces count?

The convention used by Bubble is to count spaces. Now I have a problem because I’m using Bubble’s character limit but theCountable’s character count - both treat spaces (and probably line breaks) differently.

Hey, @jzhuat!

The thing is, when the input is not visible at the initial page load, the plugin can’t see it and therefore doesn’t work even after the condition for the input is changed. There is a workaround, that I can offer you:

Put the input and the plugin element in the group and set up the visibility conditions to the group, not to the input. So, basically, when the condition for the visibility will be true, the plugin will appear at the same time with the input and will work properly.

About counting spaces: the plugin does count spaces as well, it depends on the state you’re using

If you are going to use the state All, it will count al the characters, including the spaces between.

Let me know if you’ll have any other questions :slightly_smiling_face:

Best regards.

Hi @Elena

Thanks for the kind help - the above issues were resolved!

I think there is a bug though (quite a serious one since i’m relying on this to limit the number of characters).

See my GIF - the number on the right is Countable’s “All” count. And the textfield is supposed to be limited to 100 characters (using Countable’s limit checkbox).

However the plugin counts “new line” as a character (as seen in my counter) but it does not contribute to the limit. Theoretically I can enter a gazillion new lines.

New lines should contribute to the limit as well. Can this be fixed? Thanks!

Kapture 2021-08-02 at 16.33.55

Hello, @jzhuat
Please allow me to jump into this chat :slightly_smiling_face:

We have checked this option within our Demo Page and indeed, the plugin counts all symbols. So, you can set the limits for the characters (letters, numbers, some mathematical symbols, and etc.), but spaces are counted as all symbols and the plugin does not include a limit on them.

We will fix this function within the plugin and will revert with an update at the nearest time.
Thanks for the understanding.

Best regards,

1 Like

@Ecaterina thanks.

Just to confirm our understanding - the issue is one of consistency - the plugin counts all symbols but yet do not include a limit for them. This inconsistency causes a situation where the counter looks broken (see GIF above).

I think in v1.0.3 this bug was fixed for white spaces, but somehow new line characters, etc. were still left out.

Hello, @jzhuat
Thanks for your patience.

By this message, I would like to notify you that we have fixed the issue with counting the characters.
Now, you will be able to choose the Limits and Number of characters:

Please upgrade your plugin to the latest version and give it a try. It will help you to work with an upgraded version of the plugin.

Hope it will help you.
Best regards,

Hello, @jzhuat

If you like our plugin, could you please rate it by going to the Plugins tab in Bubble editor? You can find the plugin by name and give it as many stars as it deserves :smiley:
The more feedback we get, the more motivated to build great plugins :smiley:
Thanks! :pray:

Hi @Ecaterina thanks for the speedy fix!

Unfortunately I don’t see the new version on Bubble, nor do i see the new option in my editor. Any clue? Thanks

Hello, @jzhuat
Sorry for this inconvenience.

Unfortunately, this issue was reproduced on our side ( the deployment was not finished). I will revert to you with an update at the nearest time on this matter :pray:

Best regards,

1 Like

Hello, @jzhuat
Thanks for the patience.

I would like to notify you that we have finally upgraded the plugin to the new version - 1.7.0.

Please upgrade your plugin to the latest version and give it a try. It will help you to work with an upgraded version of the plugin.

Best regards,

1 Like

Hi, I noticed another MAJOR bug with this plugin.

If instead of typing in the multiline input, I copy and paste into it, the character limits are not imposed AT ALL.

I understand this is a free plugin, but character limit is a CRITICAL thing for some types of apps - it can mean anything from the app crashing to losing API license (and with it the whole business).

Can you please assist to fix this as soon as possible? Thanks a lot.

Hello, @jzhuat

First of all, please allow me to mention, that it is not a bug :slightly_smiling_face:

Preventing the copy-pasting manually, or by using the Hot Keys, it is an option, which is related not only to the plugin but to the Bubble platform and clipboard.

Generally, this plugin was created not for pasting the block of information into the multiline input, but for writing.
Taking into consideration this, you can simply mention the “Only writing” factor within your application.

Sorry for this inconvenience.
Best regards,

Please tell me you are kidding?

If I can simply mention “only writing”, and users will simply follow. Then why do you even provide the character limit? You might as well remove it and tell users to “simply keep to the limit”!

It’s one thing to have such a buggy plugin. It’s another level to not even acknowledge it’s a bug.

Also, please don’t push the bug to Bubble - their character limit worked even for copy/paste. BUT your plugin disables it, effectively allowing users unlimited characters.

@levon

@jzhuat
We are sorry for this inconvenience.

Please allow me to discuss this with my team one more time regarding this feature and to revert to our feedback. We need to see exactly what we can do here :pray:

I will do my best to revert with an update at the nearest time. Thanks for the understanding.
Best regards,

Hello, @jzhuat
Thanks for your patience :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve already replied to you on the Bubble Forum thread: 🎛 New plugin - theCountable (now free) - #53 by ZeroqodeSupport - Showcase - Bubble Forum
However, allow me to notify you here, that we have upgraded the plugin functionality, accordingly to your request :slightly_smiling_face:

Now, you will be able to limit the number of symbols not only for writing the text but for the copy\pasting it in the input.
However, please allow us to mention that this restriction will work only in case, you will choose the “Limit by All” in the plugin element settings:

Hope you will be satisfied with this upgrade :pray:

Best regards,